Table of contents
- 0.1 1) Reasonably Fast Testing Process
- 0.2 2) Save Resources and Reduce Costs
- 0.3 3) Easily Programmable in Many Programming Languages
- 0.4 4) Efficiently Alert DevOps of Downstream Changes
- 0.5 5) Can Use Wide Range of Tools
- 0.6 6) Get Free Standards, Specifications and Data Sets for Your Testing Needs
- 0.7 7) Easily Test Responses to Variations of Your API Endpoint
- 0.8 8) Ability to Handle Long-Running and Complex Tests
- 0.9 9) Can Easily Run Tests with Different Methodologies since they are not UI dependent
- 0.10 Conclusion
- 1 Don’t miss amazing tips!
API testing is a method of quality assurance in which the service provider and users communicate with each other but what are the topmost benefits of API testing in today’s world. Are there benefits that come with the fact that API testing does not need to have any user interface or user interaction? Let’s find out!
In this article, we’ll go over the benefits of API testing and how it can help your software organization.
Benefits of API Testing API testing is mainly used to automate the application program interface testing process so that it takes less time and fewer resources to find bugs. The following are the benefits of API testing.
1) Reasonably Fast Testing Process
API tests don’t need a user interface or user interaction, so it makes the entire software testing process faster. For example, when you are working with Web applications, you can run your application tests using an automated tool. The tool may have a number of tests that will confirm whether your application works well.
2) Save Resources and Reduce Costs
Testing is a costly process, and the amount of cost associated with testing for security fixes can be very high. You can use API testing to find security bugs instead of human testers who may be unable to verify the results due to human error.
You can save time by using automation, in addition to saving money due to the reduced cost of testing. You will also be able to use better software tools that take the burden off the business development team by allowing them to focus on other parts of their mission.
3) Easily Programmable in Many Programming Languages
4) Efficiently Alert DevOps of Downstream Changes
Because you can test using the different programming languages, you can easily track the changes that have occurred over time. This makes it easier for you to detect when your application is failing or when it fails to work as expected.
5) Can Use Wide Range of Tools
You can choose from a wide range of API testing tools. These tools allow you to test API services by executing tests for them. You should also make sure that these tools are compatible with the server-side programming language that you use, along with the programming language of your client-side mobile app and web application.
6) Get Free Standards, Specifications and Data Sets for Your Testing Needs
The Open API Initiative (OAI) provides free specifications, data sets and standards for the consumers, testers and application developers who want to get to know more about API testing. There are over 200 APIs available on apigateway.org, and each one is tested.
7) Easily Test Responses to Variations of Your API Endpoint
You can easily test the responses that you receive from the users when they try to use your API. You can easily track the changes in the responses and provide better feedback to your clients.
8) Ability to Handle Long-Running and Complex Tests
API testing offers a lot of flexibility when you are testing it. You can easily set up long-running tests and complex tests without any user interface. Apart from that, you can perform thousands of tests at the same time, which will make the process run faster.
9) Can Easily Run Tests with Different Methodologies since they are not UI dependent
With API testing, you get to use various test methodologies for your application testing needs. This is because API testing lets you access the software programmatically rather than having direct user interaction (which is a limitation of UI). With this approach, you get to test more of your code in order to make sure your software functions as expected.
API testing is a reliable tool that helps you find bugs faster. It is a good complementary tool that can be used in addition to UI testing to find bugs within your application quickly.
Read more on API mocking with postman here.